Studying and preparing for your next certification can feel like a daunting task, especially once you start to approach national level testings! To make your next certification feel like a walk in the park, check out this list of preparation tips compiled by the National Youth Board!
- Make a plan! Head over to the Pony Club website and click the “Certifications” tab. Here you will find test sheets, standards of proficiency, flowcharts, rubrics, checklists, and other resources! Save or print these resources and use them to create an overall study checklist, schedule, or whatever will help you learn the best!
- Make flashcards! If you’re a visual learner or if you like memory games, create flashcards to help you remember certain facts, concepts, or ideas! We suggest color coding your flashcards in order to easily separate your stack into sections based on topic. For conformation, injury, or anatomy cards, simply glue a picture of the desired trait onto the front of the card and write your explanation on the back!
- Work with examiners! Take advantage of every opportunity to work with examiners, whether they are local to your region or a national examiner. These individuals have such a wealth of knowledge regarding Pony Club and their feedback is so important when preparing for a certification! Keep an eye out for any clinics with examiners that your region or regions nearby may be hosting, or reach out individually to examiners to gain experience before your certification!
- Study with friends! Sometimes the best way to learn a concept is to teach it to another person! Even if your friends are not preparing for the same certification as you, set aside some time to talk about difficult concepts, compare notes, and teach each other the information until it feels easy. This allows you to brush up on your teaching skills and review your materials at the same time!
- Relax! Preparing for certifications can be stressful and nerve-wracking, but they should never get in the way of enjoying your time in Pony Club! Even with ample preparation, sometimes things can go wrong on certification day and that’s okay! Mistakes happen to the best of us, but spending adequate time preparing for certifications can help reduce that risk!
The National Youth Board (NYB) serves as a liaison between Pony Club’s youth members and the Board of Governors by communicating the needs, ideas, and concerns of USPC youth. NYB members also work with the national office on projects related to marketing, leadership development, and service for the benefit of the organization and all Pony Club members. Delegates of the NYB are between 18 – 23 years of age, highly motivated and dedicated, and have strong leadership and communication skills. To learn more, log in and visit the National Youth Board page.